Chef Vikas Seth, Culinary Director of Sanchez and Sriracha Bangalore shares his recipes of ‘Fresh Mango and Guac toast’ and ‘Smashed Avacado Toast’ from Sanchez. You can either make them at home or head out to your favourite Tex Mex joint in the city, as they have now opened up after the lockdown.
Smashed Avocado Toast
Toasted Torta bread, Mashed Avocado, Habanero Onions, Queso Fresco, Blasted Capers
Serves: 4 portions
Prep time: 2hrs
Assembly Time: 15 minutes
Ripe Avocado 2 pcs
Cilantro, chopped 1 tbsp
Jalapeno, chopped 1 tsp
Lemon Juice 1tbsp
Extra Virgin Olive Oil 2tbsp
Salt to taste
Pickled Habanero Onions 1 tbsp
Queso Fresco / Goat Cheese 1 tbsp
Blasted Capers 1 tbsp
Torta Bread / Baguette 4 slices
- 1. Cut avocados in half. Remove seed. Scoop out avocado from the peel, place in a mixing bowl.
- Using a fork, mash the avocado, but keep it chunky. Add cilantro, jalapeno, lemon juice, half of extra virgin olive oil, salt and mix.
- Toast the bread until browned and crisp. Lightly brush the toast with extra virgin olive oil. Top it up with the smashed avocado mix, pickled habanero onions, queso fresco chunks and capers.
Pickled Habanero Onions
Onions, sliced 1/2 cup
Vinegar 2 tbsp
Water, boiling 1 cup
Habanero paste ½ tsp
Sugar 1 tsp
Bay leaf 2 pc
Salt to taste
Black Pepper 1 tsp
Mix all ingredients in a bowl and top it up with the boiling water. Keep aside for 2 hours to rest and then chill, before using.
Flour 1 tsp
Oil for frying
- Spoon the capers into a sieve and drain. Place the flour in a small bowl. Add the capers and mix until the capers are well coated.
- Heat a small pan with oil over medium-high heat. Add the capers. Fry for 2 to 3 minutes undisturbed, until the capers are golden-brown. Strain and transfer to a kitchen absorbent paper and allow to cool to room temperature. Use the blasted capers as required.
Fresh Mango & Avocado Toast
Prep Time: 30mins
Ripe Avocado 1 big pc
fresh Mango 1 medium size
coriander, chopped 1tbsp
green chillies, chopped 1tsp
Lemon Juice 1tsp
Olive Oil 1tbsp
Salt to taste
paprika/chilli powder ½ tsp
Sliced Bread Toast 6 pcs
- Cut avocados into half. Remove seed. Scoop out avocado flesh from the peel into a molcajete or mixing bowl. Discard any browned areas.
- Using a fork, mash the avocado, but keep it chunky. Add in green chillies, lemon juice, salt, half of olive oil, coriander and mix lightly.
- Peel one wider side of the mango and slice both the wider sides of mango off along with a sharp knife, leaving the flat pit (which can be peeled as well and flesh can be taken out from all around the pit and cut into small pieces or the flat pit along with mango flesh can be consumed as a fruit itself).
- Score one mango flesh in both directions and use a spoon to take the cubes out from the mango skin. Add the same to bowl and mix lightly, not to mash too much the mangoes cubes. And other wider side of mango without skin is kept in the refrigerator till required.
- Cover with plastic wrap directly on the surface of the guacamole to prevent oxidation from the air reaching it. Allow 5 to 10 minutes to get the flavor blended well with all the ingredients together. Refrigerate until required.
- Slice the reserved wider side of mango without skin into small pieces as shown in the video to be used for garnishing the toast.
- In the meanwhile, get the sliced bread toasted and cut into halves.
- Top the toast with fresh mango & avocado mix and garnished with sliced fresh mango pieces, pinch of salt, pinch of paprika/chilli powder & drizzle of olive oil. Garnish with micro greens or coriander leaves.