A wholesome meal and a scotch cocktail to go with it from the comfort of your own home. What else can one ask for? Here’s a chef’s special Goan fish curry and rice recipe to try at home. To compliment this meal, a beautiful Black & White cocktail that makes for a great brunch [or lunch] serve.
Black & White Spritzer
- Black & White Scotch whisky 45 ml
- Orange juice 20 ml
- Fresh lime juice 15 ml
- Ginger ale 90 ml
- Add fresh lime juice, orange juice & whisky into the glass
- Add ice stir well and top t up with ginger ale
- Garnish it with orange zest
This is an ideal recipe to use leftover rice in a delicious manner, with the most minimal and basic ingredients.
- Refined oil: 2 tablespoons
- Black Mustard seeds: 1 tsp
- Methi (fenugreek) seeds: 1/2 tsp
- Whole dry red chilies: 3 pc
- Curry leaves: 10 pc
- Chopped tomatoes: 4 nos.
- Red chili powder: 1/4 tsp
- Whole black pepper: 1/2 tsp
- Salt: to taste
* Heat oil well for 2 to 3 minutes.
* Add the mustard seeds and let them splitter
* Now add Methi seeds, whole red chilies and curry leaves and sauté for a minute
* Add chopped tomatoes, salt, black pepper and red chili powder and sauté well for 3 to 4 minutes on low flame
* Add the rice. Sauté well. Check seasoning and serve hot.
* You can serve this with dals, or light curries.
* Stay safe. Stay home and wash your hands.
Goan Fish Curry
- Fish: 1 kg cut into pieces (I used bekti). Marinate this with the juice of one lime, salt and a pinch of turmeric for 15 minutes.
- Kashmiri red chilies / ordinary red chilies: 10 pc. (Soaked in water for 15 mins).
- Red chili powder: 2 tsp.
- Turmeric powder: 1 tsp.
- Chopped fresh coconut: 1/2 cup.
- Coriander seeds: 4 tsp.
- Chopped onion: 1 pc.
- Sliced onion: 1 pc.
- Cumin seeds: 1 pc.
- Sliced garlic: 5 cloves.
- Tamarind water: 1/2 cup.
- Tomato purée: 2 pc.
- Green chilies slit: 1 pc.
- Coconut milk: 1 cup.
- Salt: to taste
- Take a blender and grind the chilies, red chili powder, fresh coconut, Coriander seeds, chopped onion, turmeric powder, garlic, cumin seeds and water to make a smooth paste.
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté the sliced onions till they are golden brown.
- Add the spice paste and sauté for 6 to 8 minutes.
- Once the oil begins to separate from the paste add 5 cups of water, salt, tomato puree, green chilies and cook for another 6 to 8 minutes.
- After 6 minutes, add the fish and let it cook for 4 minutes.
- Taste and see if you want to add coconut milk or not. I add the coconut milk according to how tangy I want my curry to be.
- Add the coconut milk and let the fish cook for another 4 minutes.
- Check seasoning and serve.