Quiche tips and Tricks! It’s one of the most essential dishes present in most of the brunches as it is simple, classic and suits most occasions. It is one of the perfect dishes and is fun to eat as it’s fluffy, flaky and delicious. Quiches are made of flour, milk, cream, and butter with different kinds of toppings like meat or veggies as per the choice. Here are a few tips to make the best quiche ever:
1. Dough for crust: Always use cold butter cut into small cubes. Mix it with the dry ingredients till it resembles crumbs. Then add the wet ingredients, and make a smooth dough. Do not over-knead, just bring everything together to form a dough.
2. Cling wrap and refrigerate the dough before use. It helps in rolling the dough and cuts down on shrinking during the baking process.
3. To avoid a soggy crust, always blind bake. This is a process wherein you put a parchment paper and can put heavy lentils as pie weights. Bake it in the oven for 15 mins. Let it cool then take off the parchment paper, let it cool then bake it for another 10 mins. Let it cool before using.
4. Vegetable filling: Always cook your vegetables for the filling to avoid creating extra moisture. To have the perfect amount of liquid in the crust ensure the vegetables especially mushrooms & spinach are dry.
5. Custard: It’s important to get the egg & dairy ratio right, after all the custard is the star of the dish. Use 1 large egg for every ½ cup of dairy. Generally ½ cup milk + ½ cup cream with 2 eggs and some grated cheese is used. Season the custard with salt, pepper, a little dried herb like thyme or Italian seasoning to get a more rounded flavour. Whisk all this together.
6. Do not overwhelm the crust with too much filling and have enough space for the custard. Top it with grated cheese. For every ¼ cup of filling use ½ cup custard.
7. A perfect quiche will have a little jiggle in the centre and the edges are set, do not overbake. Let the quiche sit for at least 10-15mins before you serve.
Quiche Tips and Tricks help in making mouthwatering and delicious quiche. It helps you in making your brunch parties a huge success. The quiche tips and tricks are initiated by Ms. Tanya Mannan, the founder of ‘Party On a Platter’ and a successful entrepreneur.